After we communicate your LTI key, secret, and provider domain, follow the directions below to integrate OLI courses into Moodle. Your screen view may differ from the screenshots below. If you are unable to use the instructions and screenshots to orient yourself, please contact OLI Support: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Set Instructor Role in Moodle Course
Instructors first need to be enrolled in their Moodle course with the role “Teacher.” To enroll an instructor, enter the course and select “Enrolled users” under Settings > Course administration. Press the “Enroll users” button. Change “Assign roles” to Teacher. Press the “Enroll” button next to the instructor’s name.
Setup of OLI as External Tool (Systems Administrators)
Go to Home > Site administration > Plugins > Activity modules > External Tool .
- Click “Add external tool configuration.”
- Complete the fields as shown in the screen capture.
- For the Tool Base URL enter: https://oli.cmu.edu/jcourse/webui/basiclti.do .
- For Consumer Key and Shared Secret enter the values provided by OLI.
- Share the student’s name and email to eliminate the signup step for students.
- Force a secure SSL connection. This option is required to protect student privacy.
- Click “Save changes.”
- Go to Home > Site administration > Plugins > Activity modules > Manage activities.
- Confirm that “External Tool” is available to instructors. Look for an opened eye in Hide/Show column. If a closed eye is shown, click the icon to enable external tools.
Add OLI Link to Moodle Course (Instructors)
- Enter your Moodle course and click the “Turn editing on” button at the top right.
- Locate where you would like to add a link to your OLI course. Click “+ Add an activity or resource.”
- Select the “External Tool” activity. Press “Add.”
- Title the link in the Activity Name field. You may enter whatever you like.
- For the Launch URL enter: https://oli.cmu.edu/jcourse/webui/basiclti.do
- Click “Save and return to course.”