The Open Learning Initiative is a flagship project of The Simon Initiative, offering textbook-replacement course content built upon principles gleaned from decades of research in three CMU’s strengths: cognitive science, computer engineering, and human-computer interaction. OLI provides a harmonious platform for delivering high-quality materials with the ability to facilitate groundbreaking research — in technology enhanced learning (TEL); data science; learning behavior; and more.
Educators and researchers can employ OLI technology to:
- Teach with any course in the diverse OLI catalog, and monitor the class’s learning
- Build and deliver a new course or an entire program, harnessing the OLI methodology that measurably improves student learning
- Convert their existing instruction to the OLI framework, for meaningful data collection and iterative improvements — at scale
- Partner with other users to integrate new technologies in instruction, collaboration, or data science
- Provide the testing ground for grant-funded research
- Combine multiple Simon Initiative partner products to tackle challenges in your instruction