Elementary Spanish I
Elementary Spanish I
Spanish I can be adapted for a hybrid delivery system or solely distance delivery. The course is media-rich and interactive, driven by video that was shot on-site in Guadalajara, Mexico. Versions are available for low-cost use by instructor-led classes of enrolled students.
To successfully use this course, you should be a motivated student with a sincere desire to learn the Spanish language and about cultures in the Spanish-speaking world, and be comfortable with computer technologies. The time commitment will typically average 8 hours per week.
Additional Course Details
- Topics Covered:
- Introductions and Greetings, Physical and Personality Descriptions, Popular Hobbies, School and Studies, Food and Restaurants, and Home and Family.
- Estimated Time to Complete Course:
- This is a semester-long course, designed to take approximately 15 weeks.
- Additional Software or Materials Required:
- Chat environment and audio recording.
- Maintenance Fee (per student):
- $35 for 4-year institutions, $25 for 2-year institutions and secondary schools
This course is part of a two-semester sequence (Spanish I & II). Each course is divided into twelve thematic lessons, with ample opportunity for reentry and review. Completing both courses will require two semesters. Instructors can select, reorder or eliminate materials when using the course. Each lesson contains short video components to contextualize the material. Segments of the video are then replayed in a variety of interactive activities and tutors. All videos were filmed in Mexico, incorporating authentic speech, cultural references, and gestures.
The beginning of each lesson is always a set sequence, from recognition of language, through explicit learning of grammar and pronunciation, to written and spoken production. After this ordered beginning, many activities are offered to the student in which the language learned is used in understanding new texts, sounds or videos, or in creative production. Lesson tests and exams are available to students enrolled in instructor-led courses. The Learning Dashboard allows for at-a-glance evaluation by instructors of student progress based on each lesson’s learning objectives.